Sunday, June 6, 2021

It was almost one year ago today that I decided to leave the school building and accept a job as a school improvement director.  There was an abundance of mixed emotions as I reflected on over 15 years spend in a high school as a teacher, coach, and administrator.  Although I nearly stumbled into the career, education had become my passion and profession all based on my love of reading (and teenagers).  

As I looked at my bookshelf with over 300 books, primarily young adult novels, that I still checked out to students, I contemplated what I would do with all these books.  Could I really just hand them over to another teacher?  Maybe I should donate them to the library?  Perhaps I should just let the kids come take their favorite book.  I really didn't want to pack them up and store them in my house...

Not being completely sure of my decision, I packed up the books and carefully displayed them in my college daughter's bedroom until... I decided to pack up my bags and move back to Phoenix.  

This time, the answer was clear. I was not going to pack up these perfectly good novels yearning to be read to be displayed in my house in Phoenix.  It was time to take the dream to action.  As you can see, this blog has been active for quite some time as my students used it to find book recommendations and recommend books to me.  But I wanted more...I want to be able to share these books, with not just people I know, but with people who may come in contact with my books. 

The to do list was created, and it sat to collect some dust as I prioritized other tasks. But, it is time!  The labels are printed, and the books are ready to go!

As I make my travels from Oregon to Arizona in a week, I will leave a little piece of my love of reading at places along the way. My only hope is to watch as these books get shared and discussed as they venture from place to place. 

I hope you enjoy the journey as well.  
Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, and I hope to inspire others to read.  Be prepared for too many teen novels as I just can't shake that English teacher vibe just yet.  Oh, and I am retiring the couch for many hours of reading by the pool this summer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment