Monday, June 1, 2015

In Between


Thanks to Microsoft and a generous DonorsChoose.org donation, I was able to purchase about 30 books for my classroom.  Of course, that means that I have to read them (which I enjoy) and make RC tests (which I only enjoy when my students actually read the book).  Amazon recommended this series to me.  Thanks, Amazon.

Katie Parker seems like the average teen girl - you know...addict mother who goes to prison, so she is sent to a group home then a foster home.  In retaliation of her new placement with the town's preacher, she finds the wrong crowd and gets into a little bit of trouble at school.  The characters in this novel make the story - Maxine, the foster grandmother is crazy and devious.  She adds humor and humiliation to the book.  The Scott's - foster parents - show kindness, acceptance, and strength through all of life's difficulties.

It wasn't one of my favorite teen novels, but it has a great purpose and keeps the reader involved.  It has a religious base without being preaching.

RC points = 18 points


No comments:

Post a Comment